Friday 8 October 2010

Group project - week 2 Research

To start research, I decided to pick a country and research that countries use of graphic design.
I decided to look at graphic design from china to get a feel for the project, and find somewhere to start from.
I typed it into Google images to see the variety of work out there.
These two pieces (above and below) really interested me, I couldn't find out a source of who made them, but I found them very different and interesting. I particularly like the bottom piece, it has a communist look about it and is very powerful with its use of colour and shape.

These two images (above and below) are from the a book: Chinese Graphic Design of the Twentieth Century by Scott Minick and Jiao Ping.

Photography was part of the Progressive Movement in Chinese graphic design of the 1930's, especially the influence of the Russian Constructivist Rodchenko.

This is a piece by the Society for News Design Chinese-language affiliate, SND chinese, has opened registrations for the Infographics Design/Asian Boot Camp, March 27-29 in ChongQing, China.

I then stumbled across this piece of Japanese art.
The Great Wave off Kanagawa also known as The Great Wave or simply The Wave, It is a woodblock print by the Japanese artist Hokusai. It is and example of Ukiyo-e art, it was published sometime between 1830 and 1833. It is the first of Hokusai's series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji and is his most famous piece. This particular woodblock is one of the most recognized works of Japanese art in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment